The mosquitoes eyes are compound eyes with the appearance of being like mesh. This appearance comes from the fact that compound eyes are made up of many hundreds if not, thousands of lenses called ommatidia. Every individual ommatidium that make up the thousands has its own cornea, lens and photoreceptor cells that distinguish colour and brightness. The individual ommatidia channels light through a lens, down a cone and then down a channel called rhabdom. The rhabdom consists of light sensing cells. The rhabdom are intern connected to optical nerve cells that produce the image. The thousands of ommatidia are separated from one another by pigment at varying degrees.
With all the ommatidia piled next to one another, a bulge is created resulting in a very wide view. Each and every ommatidia is set at a slightly different angle creating a mosaic like view that has poor quality but is very good for picking out any movement.
Did You Know?
Did you know the following facts about mosquitoes?
- Fact One - There are about 2700 species of mosquito
- Fact Two - A mosquito can weigh between 2 and 2.5 milligrams
- Fact Three - A female mosquito can drink around 5-millionths of a litter of blood (Aedes aegypti)
- Fact Four - If you eat bananas, you are more likely to be bitten
- Fact Five - When there is a full moon, mosquito bites increase by 500 times
- Fact Six - Mosquito wings beat 500 times a second
- Fact Seven - The animal that is responsible for the most human deaths world wide is.......... the mosquito
- Fact Eight - Mosquitoes prefer children to adults
- Fact Nine - They dislike citronella as it irritates their feet
- Fact Ten - A mosquito can detect a moving target from 18 ft away
- Fact Eleven - A male mosquito lives between 10 and 20 days
- Fact Twelve - A female mosquito lives between 3 and 100 days
Different Types of Mosquitoes
There are many different types of mosquitoes which can be found in every region of the world. The following articles details facts and information about many different types of mosquitoes. There re also facts and information about the size of the different types of mosquitoes, the habitat in which they live and an indication of how long they live. Everything you wanted to know about the mosquito - facts and info for kids, children and their teachers and for everyone interested in the facts about mosquitoes.
Facts and Info about Mosquitoes
We have provided many different articles containing facts and info about mosquitoes. Definitions and Descriptions with key features of what they look like including patterns and colors, what they eat, whether they are poisonous and dangerous, what regions they live in and their natural habitat. We have also provided the answers to the most common questions that people ask about mosquitoes such as: