Aedes mosquitoes were originally found in tropical and subtropical areas. Now thanks to the transportation people have provided, Aedes mosquitoes can be found all around the world apart from Antarctica. A few of the Aedes mosquito species are very important as they transmit deadly diseases and are the most invasive mosquito in the world. Disease they can transmit are dengue fever and yellow fever as well as lymphatic filariasis. With Aedes mosquitoes being so invasive and being able to transfer nasty disease, pest control is very important. Keeping there numbers to a minimum will help prevent catching a deadly disease. This can be done by killing larva and preventing them from becoming adults. There are many products that allow you to do this, from water additives to sprays and foggers amongst a few products that kill larva and mosquitoes.
Did You Know?
Did you know the following facts about mosquitoes?
- Fact One - There are about 2700 species of mosquito
- Fact Two - A mosquito can weigh between 2 and 2.5 milligrams
- Fact Three - A female mosquito can drink around 5-millionths of a litter of blood (Aedes aegypti)
- Fact Four - If you eat bananas, you are more likely to be bitten
- Fact Five - When there is a full moon, mosquito bites increase by 500 times
- Fact Six - Mosquito wings beat 500 times a second
- Fact Seven - The animal that is responsible for the most human deaths world wide is.......... the mosquito
- Fact Eight - Mosquitoes prefer children to adults
- Fact Nine - They dislike citronella as it irritates their feet
- Fact Ten - A mosquito can detect a moving target from 18 ft away
- Fact Eleven - A male mosquito lives between 10 and 20 days
- Fact Twelve - A female mosquito lives between 3 and 100 days
Facts and Info about Mosquitoes
We have provided many different articles containing facts and info about mosquitoes. Definitions and Descriptions with key features of what they look like including patterns and colors, what they eat, whether they are poisonous and dangerous, what regions they live in and their natural habitat. We have also provided the answers to the most common questions that people ask about mosquitoes such as:
- How many teeth does a mosquito have?
- What is the life expectancy of a mosquito?
- How do you get rid of a mosquito bite?
- Does global warming lead to longer mosquito seasons?